Depending on a restaurant’s risk exposure, restaurant liability insurance might include the following coverages:
- General Liability Coverage, which many businesses have (including ones outside the food service industry)
- Product Liability Coverage, which might help cover any issues that arise from the food a restaurant serves (e.g. food-borne illnesses)
- Liquor Liability Coverage, which may cover a restaurant that serves alcohol if it’s held responsible for an intoxicated patron’s actions
- Hired and Non-Owned Vehicles Liability Coverage, which can extend certain liability coverages to delivery vehicles owned by employees
A restaurant policy’s property coverage is designed to protect the physical property that a restaurant owns. The particular coverages that a restaurant property insurance contains might include:
- Building Coverage, which is usually only necessary if a restaurant owns the building it’s in
- Contents Coverage, which might insure the kitchen equipment, tables and chairs, other furniture fixtures, artwork, and similar property that a restaurant has
- Equipment Breakdown Coverage, which may cover repair costs associated with certain causes of equipment failures (e.g. a power surge)
- Food Contamination Coverage, which might cover spoiled food that has to be discarded after a covered incident (e.g. a power surge or mechanical failure)
What Restaurants in Massachusetts Need a Restaurant Policy?
Almost all restaurants in Massachusetts, regardless of whether they’re a small pizzeria in Winchester, MA or a large, world-class dining establishment in Boston, MA, should have a restaurant policy. In most cases, these specialized insurance policies provide the best coverage solutions for restaurants -- and operating a restaurant without the necessary coverages could be financially devastating if something bad occurs.
How Can Restaurants Get a Restaurant Policy?
Restaurants that need restaurant insurance can contact one of the many independent insurance agents that serve businesses in Massachusetts. An independent agent will be able to review a restaurant's insurance needs and help the restaurant owner select a policy that provides all necessary restaurant property and restaurant liability insurance coverages.
Your Eatery Deserves Proper Coverage
Running a successful restaurant requires significant investments of both finances and time. Without protection, a single incident could take all of the investment that went into a restaurant away. Restaurant insurance helps protect restaurants in Massachusetts from an array of potentially devastating incidents by providing the insurance coverages they need.