What Massachusetts businesses need short term film insurance?
Massachusetts videographers who make short films, commercials and promotional videos may want short term film insurance. Most policies insure projects with budgets below a threshold (e.g. possibly $1 million).
For videographers working on larger projects with higher budgets, short term film insurance may not be sufficient. Larger projects often call for other film production insurance policies.
An insurance agent who specializes in film production insurance can help videographers determine whether short term film insurance meets their needs well.
What coverages do short term film insurance policies make available?
Short term film insurance policies make multiple coverages available, including both liability and property protections. Some coverages that videographers may want to look for are:
- General Liability Coverage, which might cover basic accidents occurring at a filming location or studio
- Professional Liability Coverage, which might cover defamation, privacy invasion and copyright infringement claims
- Equipment Protection Coverage, which might cover video cameras, other recording equipment and computers
- Owned or Rented Equipment Coverage, which might cover rented cameras and production equipment
- Props Coverage, which might cover sets, wardrobes, props, cars, pictures, jewelry and other items used in shoots
- Unmanned Aerial Vehicle Coverage, which may cover drones that are flown for aerial photography and videography
- Hired and Non-Owned Automobile Coverage, which might cover rented broadcast trucks and other rented vehicles
- Cast and Crew Coverage, which may cover lost investments if an essential actor/actress becomes injured, ill or passes away
Cast and crew coverage may be purchased for the entire cast, or a “carve-out” version of this coverage might be purchased for only the most important cast and crew members. The coverage may only cover injuries and death, or it may cover illnesses as well.
Do short term video production policies come with workers' compensation?
Workers' compensation broadly insures against workplace injuries. Should an employee be hurt on the job, this coverage would likely offer payment for medical costs and some lost wages.
Most businesses in Massachusetts that employ workers are legally required to purchase workers' compensation insurance, even if they hire people only temporarily. Short term video production outfits thus usually need workers' compensation.
Whether workers' compensation is purchased within a short term video production policy depends on the specifics of the policy. Some policies come with the coverage, and the coverage is procured through a separate policy in other cases.
How can videographers get short term video production insurance?
For help insuring smaller filming projects that are taking palace in Massachusetts, contact the independent insurance agents at Scotti Insurance Agency. Our agents are well-versed in film production policies, and we’ll make sure you find short term video production insurance that provides the projections your project needs.