What is cyber insurance?
Businesses face new risks that have emerged as commerce has increasingly moved online, and these risks will only become more and more problematic as cloud usage continues to grow. One way that Massachusetts businesses can protect themselves from many of the online risks they face is by purchasing cyber insurance.
Cyber insurance policies help protect businesses against modern risks associated with online commerce. This is one of the most effective ways to insure against data breaches and online attacks.
What businesses in Massachusetts should carry cyber liability insurance?
The vast majority of Massachusetts businesses can benefit from cyber liability insurance, regardless of their size or industry. This is an insurance that has wide application as online risks grow.
To see just how widely applicable this insurance is, consider how businesses in different industries face online risks:
- Gas Stations could have scammers install skimmers on pumps’ credit card readers
- Investment advisors could have clients’ financial information stolen during an attack
- Attorneys could accidentally send confidential client information to opposing counsel
- Medical providers could mishandle electronic health records and violate HIPAA
- Remote businesses could have data compromised if a device is forgotten in public
In all of these situations, the business might allegedly or actually be financially responsible for harm that results from the incident. Cyber liability may help defray the costs associated with an allegation or determination.